We’re looking for folks who are members of the LGBTQIA+ community to contribute personal essays about their conception and/or family-building journeys for an upcoming anthology focused on highlighting and celebrating the unique ways that LGBTQIA+ people create families.
Why this project is important: This book is a celebration of the many creative ways that LGBTQ+ people build and grow our families. In a society battling divisive politics, misunderstandings, and violence, this book is a force of hopefulness, lifting up all of the brilliant ways humans come together to grow and nourish the next generation. The book will also include practical information for LGBTQ+ people looking to build their own families.
Topics include but are not limited to:
- Stories about choosing a sperm donor: known donors, flipping through the big book from the sperm bank, partners using the same sperm donor
- Your conception process, pregnancy, and birth
- Coming out later in life, blending family
- Being the non-biological parent to your child. Your experience of your partner’s conception, pregnancy, and birth
- Miscarriage and pregnancy loss
- Fertility disappointments and triumphs
- Being a child of LGBTQ+ parents
- TTC stories in process
- The class and race issues around choosing a sperm donor and purchasing sperm
- Single parents by choice
- Climate change and deciding to have children
- Trans pregnancy
- And more!
Accepted stories will be included in an anthology and we hope to pay writers for their submissions, pending a publishing deal. The ideal stories will be: unique, personal, emotional, specific, and radical.
Submissions are due: May 31th, 2021